"These are bad times for people who like to sit outside the library at dawn on a rainy morning and get ripped to the tits on crank and powerful music..."

"Nixon had the unique ability to make his enemies seem honorable, and we developed a keen sense of fraternity. Some of my best friends have hated Nixon all their lives. My mother hates Nixon, my son hates Nixon, I hate Nixon, and this hatred has brought us together.The good Doctor decided to take his own life last night, in Aspen, Colorado, while his wife was out to the store. His son Juan is reported to have had found him- and I guess it must have been a gruesome sight. I feel deeply for his family for their loss.
Nixon laughed when I told him this. 'Don't worry,' he said. 'I, too, am a family man, and we feel the same way about you.'"
from Better Than Sex- Confessions of A Political Junkie by Hunter S. Thompson (1994)
I always hoped his end would involve the firearms he was so enthusiastic about. He loved "high-powered weapons" more than he did the drugs. I'm glad he didn't overdose in some strange opium den- that would have been a shame. I wouldn't have liked that media storm- was it a suicide or an inadvertent overdose? His enemies (and he still had quite a few- memories in the Doctor's business are long and the kind of stakes he was playing with were huge...) might have twisted his death into some sort of morality play.
Too bad the film version of Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas was so popular- it really is clouding the media focus on his death. His most important work began with his next book, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, 1972. This tome follows Hunter through the mind, body and soul wrenching experience of covering the '72 election all the way from the first Democratic primary right to Nixon's
And in it all he made dramatic exposure of what lies beneath the veneer of respectability displayed as the US electoral process. It is a mad power grab for the highest stakes- and it is not for the weak of heart.
From then on, Hunter was called on repeatedly by Rolling Stone to cover, explain, and make palatable the electoral process for their tuned in and dropped out readers. How successful he was in bringing American youth to some comprehension about "How It All Works" in American politics is too difficult for me to judge- but I know that the choir he did convert will be singing his praises for decades to come.
As writers, and specifically as bloggers, I think we owe a huge debt to this man for escaping the confines of "objective journalism" some forty years ago and playing fast and loose with decorum, drug and firearm laws, community standards and libel laws. The written word can paint a much more diverse picture thanks to him, and he will be sorely missed.
Mtlanglo, February 21, 2005
Montreal
6 comments:
I don't think it is a stretch (okay, well maybe a little bit of one) to say that Blogs are the bastard stepchild of Gonzo journalism.
Lono said that not only was he going to not foist some false "objectivity" on his writing, but went 100 miles per hour down the road of saying exactly why he was reporting what he was.
I wish we had more of that in the mass media today, but at least we have the blogs!
i opened comments up on the blog due to Mr. Thompson's death- there usually are none.
Thanks for visiting.
Oops- I accidentally erased a post by fellow MTLer Jeremy- who is at http://jeremybrendan.blogspot.com/
He's written a moving peice on the pasing of the Doctor, too, as has my friend Nika at
http://agencychick.typepad.com/
and Tamsen over at
http://likesunday.typepad.com/1/
LONG LIVE NIXON!
Perhaps it is a suitable passage for a samurai warrior of the cultural wars.
He confronted a brutal world with a snarling sense of rage and humor. He staggered, loaded, into battle with all the liars, regardless of their party or ideology. He was the savage clown who reminded us of our hypocrisy.
On the differences between Clinton and GW Bush -
"Clinton was a congenitally lewd man who is evil in a way that seems charming; Bush is a charming man who was born Evil."
On Hubert Humphry (Former Vice President)-
"There is no way to grasp what a shallow, contemptible and hopelessly dishonest old hack Hubert Humphrey is until you've followed him around for a while."
On Ed Muskie (1972 Pres. Candidate)-
"Working for Muskie was something like being locked in a rolling box car with a vicious 200-pound water rat."
On Richard Nixon -
"He is America's answer to the monstrous Mr. Hyde. He speaks for the werewolf in all of us."
Farewell, Dr. Gonzo, I'll be in the bar, nibbling Gimlets, fearlessly humping the American Dream, and waiting for the dwarf with the silver telephone.
To the eternal memory and the equally eternal written words of Doctor Hunter S. - and to his trusted steed 'the Shadow':
...and as his strength failed him at length, he met a pilgram shadow.
"Shadow," said he, "where can it be, this land of El Dorado?"
"Over the Mountains of the Moon, Down the Valley of Shadow. Ride, boldly ride," the shade replied, "if ye seek for El Dorado."Ride on Hunter...
- a reader, a seeker, an anonymous friend -
Post a Comment